Thursday, November 15, 2012

{style} transitional done right

the outlets. they can be a hit or miss. crazy packed or completely empty. expensive or cheap. you never know what you're going to get. but they do make for fun shopping trips!


the other day mama riner and i decided to get a headstart on our christmas shopping. i know, i know- this was a big headstart. but we happened to hit the jackpot a a bunch of our favorite stores - j.crew and gap to be specific.


one item that wasn't a christmas gift but by far my favorite purchase was a navy and green striped three-quarter sleeve shift dress. so comfy, so stylish, and so preppy. my kind of outfit. here it is before we break it down.

the key to any outfit, no matter the style, is to accessorize appropriately. so to my walk-in i went! the weather here in northern virginia tends to change frequently, so my first addition was my go-to j.crew navy blazer. since i was going to be running errands that day, i opted for my nine west riding boots and some knee-high socks.


and of course- the outfit would not be complete without some jewelry from stella & dot! i wore my favorite green serenity stone drop earrings, the signature clover necklace, and the chimera bangle with my ribbon watch. love love love.

the great thing about the outfit is i was able to wear it to my friend stacey's birthday party a few days earlier at a local vineyard, quattro goomba's. since it wasn't quite as chilly, i opted against the blazer and instead wore navy tights with my high heel brown nine west boots. and i know i can wear it this spring with some ballet flats. completely transitional.

see, here's the thing. whenever i purchase something i think about how often i will end up wearing it and if it can be worn multiple ways. i also take into consideration if it's more of a classic piece or somewhat fashion-forward. all of these questions help me to determine whether or not the piece is worth the financial investment.

the best thing about this dress- it was $25. gotta love the outlets.

xoxo Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment