Tuesday, October 30, 2012

{diy} kitchenaid mixer

it's no secret that i like to bake. i find it therapeutic and rewarding. and i don't limit myself- recipes for cookies, cakes, bars, breads - none are off limits from me and my tummy. yum.


pumpkin banana bread muffins - recipe to come!
so before i start sharing some of my fave recipes and new ones that i find (more than likely thanks to my not-so-small addiction to pinterest), i figured i'd show you my number one tool for perfect baking: my kitchenaid mixer. now, before you start huffing and puffing about the cost of kitchenaids or how you can just use a hand-mixer or even a spoon, let me set the stage for you.

for yearssss i settled for the spoon method of mixing and the occasional usage of a hand-mixer, but i coveted the kitchenaid. it all started at an early age with my yaya, or 'grandmother' in greek. she knew that since my mom wasn't big into baking, it was up to her to instill the the love on baking in her only granddaughter. we started small with cake mixes and thanksgiving pies, eventually moving onto the traditional greek desserts of baklava and kourabiedes (don't worry- i'll share recipes later on). i am so grateful for the memories that i will always hold dearly, especially since yaya passed away in 1997.

recently, my great-aunt aurania (yaya's twin sister) moved to florida and bestowed her beloved kitchenaid to me. so exciting!!! and, yes, i saved a ton of money by getting a hand-me down. however, it was a lovely rusted almond color. yay. and went perfectly with my white / williams-sonoma decorated kitchen. ha.

determination + pinterest + a good 'ol rustoleum product = a new-found lease on life for this kitchenaid!
kitchenaid pre-makeover- all components removed and sanded.
kitchenaid post-makeover. so happy with the end result!

i would do a play-by-play of how i did this, but i'm going to give credit where credit is due. maria at you craft me up -- well done, fellow blogger! thanks for the tips/tricks to help me save a ton of money and preserve a family heirloom. :)


xoxo Lauren



No comments:

Post a Comment